Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! Well some may argue with me or may not care, turning 30 is a pretty big deal. It may not be as big of a deal as 40 or 50 or any other big number, but to me its about entering another stage in your life. Yes, age IS just a number, but its like when your turn 21.. you finally feel like wow I'm an adult, I'm of legal age. Turning 30 for me is just like that, its me focusing on where I am in my life and where I want to be.
Here are the top 20 things I've learned in my twenties that I am taking into my thirties...
1. I am not a party animal anymore! If I'm out past 10pm the next morning can be a little tough.
2. I never believed people when they said not everyone gets married and has kids right after college... well I was very wrong on this. Everyone's story happens at different times.. its not like the old days.
3. Its not about the number of friends I have, but more about who I can call on during the most difficult times to have a shoulder to cry on.
4. Well I once thought I had to be everywhere and do everything, I'm learning to say no to things...It's ok to be selfish sometimes!
5. I definitely have some of my parents habits... my Mother's emotions and my Father's hard work. They've taught me well and I still learn from them today.
6. Travel! It has taught me that there is more in this world than just the walls we grow up around.
7. This is probably the most important lesson I've learned in my life so far - never be ashamed of who you are. I am me and I really love me, I wouldn't say that I always thought this about myself, but as I've gotten older I've learned that you have to love yourself in order for others to love you. If there's one thing I encourage to anyone, its to always love yourself and don't be ashamed of who you are.
8. Goodbyes suck, but its important to keep the memories of loved ones in your heart and they will always be with you.
9. Dream big! I am a dreamer and maybe I live in my own fairytale, but I truly believe that if you try hard enough and believe in something strong enough, dreams will come true.
10. Embrace life and live it to the fullest. You only have this one life so make sure it counts.
11. Do good deeds. Be kind and help others. One of the greatest things I've ever done was volunteer.
12. Stand up for what you believe in. I've learned that there is no way a problem can be fixed if you don't open your mouth.
13. Think before you act and practice what you preach.
14. Sometimes all you need is a good cry. I think its good for the soul.
15. Surround yourself with happiness. Life is a lot better when you're surrounded by the things that make you happy.
16. Take each day, day by day. I am still learning this one ... All you have is today, so don't stress over the little things, everything always works itself out in the end.
17. Be fearless and take chances. You will never know unless you take a leap of faith sometimes.
18. Don't ever have regret. Things happen for a reason.
19. Its ok to fail and make mistakes. This one is hard for me to learn, but so true. No one is perfect, failure is a part of life and that's how we learn.
20. Beat to your own drum. Don't be something you aren't, always follow you heart.